Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Chocolate Dipped Banana Cupcakes - 2nd place cupcakes

We are taking a break from our regular scheduled healthy eating to bring you a little indulgence. My husband's office has been doing all sort of fun stuff for their United Way Campaign. All the events had a cooking theme this year, super fun! On Monday, they had there own Cupcake Wars! So, I had to enter. I am told that my cupcakes came in a very close second place. Although, I have to say, I tasted the first place cupcake and it was AMAZING.....even though it did not contain chocolate.
So, here is my recipe for Chocolate Dipped Banana Cupcakes.

Here is what you need. Yes, the blacker the banana the better.
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Ghiradelli)
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1/2 cu
  • 3/4 cup of milk
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350° and line muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners
  2. Using a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside
  3. In mixer combined: egg, banana (no needed to mash it ahead of time, just throw it in), water, milk, oil, vanilla.
  4. Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until smooth
  5. pour batter into cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  6. Bake for 20 minuets or until toothpick inserted comes out

Oh, and if you are making a double batch, I highly recommend using my special cupcake tin filling method. I put a zip-lock into a Tupperware and fold the edges over. Then a pour the batter in.
Now, just snip a corner and pour into the cups. Less spills and easy clean up this way.

So, after the cupcakes are cooled, frost with your favorite butter-cream. I thought my cupcakes needed an extra something, I mean this was for a contest after all.

So, I dipped some dried bananas in a little melted dark chocolate for that extra bit of pizzazz.

Baby B (the Biscuit) din't seem to mind that these came in second place. He ate 2 of them!





No comments:

Post a Comment