We are taking a break from our regular scheduled healthy eating to bring you a little indulgence. My husband's office has been doing all sort of fun stuff for their United Way Campaign. All the events had a cooking theme this year, super fun! On Monday, they had there own Cupcake Wars! So, I had to enter. I am told that my cupcakes came in a very close second place. Although, I have to say, I tasted the first place cupcake and it was AMAZING.....even though it did not contain chocolate.
So, here is my recipe for Chocolate Dipped Banana Cupcakes.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Ghiradelli)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cu
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° and line muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners
- Using a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside
- In mixer combined: egg, banana (no needed to mash it ahead of time, just throw it in), water, milk, oil, vanilla.
- Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until smooth
- pour batter into cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minuets or until toothpick inserted comes out
Oh, and if you are making a double batch, I highly recommend using my special cupcake tin filling method. I put a zip-lock into a Tupperware and fold the edges over. Then a pour the batter in.
Now, just snip a corner and pour into the cups. Less spills and easy clean up this way.
So, after the cupcakes are cooled, frost with your favorite butter-cream. I thought my cupcakes needed an extra something, I mean this was for a contest after all.
So, I dipped some dried bananas in a little melted dark chocolate for that extra bit of pizzazz.